Monday, June 8, 2009

Day 28? THE NIGHT BEFORE!!!!

Oh boy. It is finally here. Its go time. I find it very fitting that on the eve of the biggest non-standardized test of my life Tiger and Kobe both showed me the way. Tiger Woods came back from 4 down to win the Memorial Tournament. Tiger Woods, one of the most powerful strikers of the ball, went 12/14, 10/14, 12/14, and 14/14 in FAIRWAYS HIT. Are you kidding me?! He is the best...at everything! The most clutch, the best driver, the best iron player, the best scrambler, the best putter, the best chipper, the best pitcher, the best puncher, has the best mental game, is in the best shape, is the best with the media, has the hottest wife...He is as close to perfection as you can get. Kobe is similar. Simply put, he is the best at what he does. Period. What makes these two the best? Are they gifted? Of course. Have they had some luck? Who hasn't? What separates Tiger and Kobe from the rest is their work ethic and their never fading desire to be better than they were the day before. Its obvious. People often say they are "naturals." To be honest, back in my playing days, people said that about me. And to that, I say a big giant BULL SHIT! So what if Tiger could break 50 when he was 6. That boy worked his ass off to break 50. Kobe has taken more shots in his life than hours he has lived. Its non-stop. Tiger misses putts (well, at least he used to). Kobe misses shots, but both know that the next opportunity for them to improve is right there in front of them. Its a never ending cycle. Learn/do/learn/do/learn/do/learn/do, set on repeat. And they wouldn't accept it any other way.

Now to me...am I the best? Fucccccccccck no. Well....ha, nah. And as my mother so kindly pointed out...its very easy to talk about doing something but its another thing to actually do it, and continue to do it and continue and continue. Shes damn right. I remember doing Sudoku in The State News while sitting in lecture. Mondays and Tuesdays, always level 1. I hated doing it on Mondays and Tuesdays because they were so simple even Daniel could do them (hmm, maybe). But on Thursday and Fridays...woooooah wee. I actually liked my first class on Thursday and Fridays. Level 3 and Level 4. The toughies. Sometimes I'd be working on them and before I could finish I noticed class was already over. Shit! Guess I'll finish on Monday. (I know this tangent is off point a bitch, but it was a fun story to tell, and there is a lesson here.) I actually can enjoy a challenge, and back to my main point, I'm at the very beginning of my journey. So far I've covered the foothills leading the way. Tomorrow at 1pm I will take my first step on the mountain. I have some of the skills essential to scale this mountain, but I lack stamina. Stamina will come with experience. I lacked a solid work ethic. Yeah, I put an "ed" on that...I did. My fire is lit. My ice piks and spikes are on. Sure, I will miss a shot. I'll lip out a putt, but right in front of me will be my opportunity to learn. To get better. I AM TIGER WOODS....I AM KOBE BRYANT...wait, I'm white? Shit...ha, no but seriously, I'm not Tiger and I'm not Kobe (shock all around, I know), but for the first time maybe ever I finally feel that I can be like them. And for that reason...BRING ON TOMORROW!

I may already be senile,
Dr. Samsun

150 EC since my last post

I know people are reading. Over 120 views in the last 2 weeks. Not all of them are me....yet, a few comments....maybe this one will get it rolling?

1 comment:

  1. i think it was mark twain, aka samuel clemens, that said when he was 13, how much of an idiot he thought his father was; however, by the time he was 21, he realized his dad had become much smarter. it's that way with you, mark, as you 'mature' and i use that word very loosely, you will realize that i am quite smart. i still don't like tiger woods, he's too arrogant.....hey maybe you are like him after all!! just kidding, you know it was good, though!! love you as always,

    ReplyDelete