Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 31 This One May Be Interesting...

Hello all. This is a rather disturbing feeling I'm having tonight. It bears with it a certain question that there is no way of figuring out the answer is to learn it yourself.

Before I begin. Was yesterdays second comment a spamer or an actual reader? To the first comment, I wasn't planning on doing out a shout-out every day, but i suppose I can do one today. This shout-out is going to....Jay Bird. J B, I like to call him for short, is a bonafide rock star. Hes got moves on the dance floor like no other. He is the Thrilla. If J Bird is in the house...

Don't quite know what that was...sorry.

So lets go over the results to my Mini 1 shall we?

Histology: 30/36 = 83.3%

DPS: 12/15 = 80%

Physiology: 8/10 = 80%

Anatomy: 11/22 = 50%

BIOCHem: 39/47 = 83%

But Dr. Samsun, what is the grading scale?

A (80-100)
B (70-80)
C (MPS-69)
F (Below MPS)

Oh, so the equivalent of FOUR A's and one F? HEY! FOUR A's?! That's pretty good, aye?! But Dr. Samsun, if you fail one class you fail the semester right? Well, that is true...HOWEVER, for Anatomy, Each Mini is worth 15% of your grade, and each Lab Practical is worth 15% with the Final being worth 20% and PBL worth 5%. So Doc, right now, you have 7.5% out of a possible 15%? Meaning you still can get a 92.5% in the class?!

So, all in all, how would you rate your exam Dr. Samsun?

Well, my strengths were my strengths, and my weaknesses were my weaknesses. I've taken biochemistry courses over and over at MSU and at Wayne. I've done a shit load of Cell Biology. Doctor and Patient in Society is a bit of common sense, and a bit new. Histology is pretty new to me, but I know whats going on. I've learned about the cell for awhile without actually seeing it. Well, now I'm seeing it. Then comes anatomy. Anatomy is a beast. The science are like other subjects. You can't do a project and present it and learn what you need to learn. All sciences, no matter the type, all require a special type of learning. Science is so complex. Its not sell here, buy here, do that. Each science has its own unique way of conducting itself. I've honestly studied biochemistry for four years now, learning from more than 15 professors, and I still barely know whats going on. Anatomy is no different. You have 20 muscles in your forearm. TWENTY! Something like 47 bones in your upper limb. Fuck me! It requires a special type of learning. A learning that takes time to develop. A learning that evolves many times before its set. I will develop that set. I knew going into the exam that Anatomy was going to be my weak point. It had to be. Its the newest of all the sciences being installed into my brain. I'll get it there.

For now, I choose to look at the FOUR A's and be proud of them. I choose to look at my F as a learning experience. Now I know how NOT to study for anatomy. Perhaps, I'll find out how TO study for it for the Lab Practical in two weeks. Ya know, I have to get a 70% and what do you know? I'm passing again, with FOUR A's.

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GR!!

3 comments:

  1. I dont think a spammer would take the time to verify the comment by typing in random letter or phrases...mister 8emto...

    ReplyDelete
  2. mark, you know i'm proud of you, just remember, you need a sense of humor to survive. i guess i'll nix my 'the hip bones connected to the thigh bone' song.....you've got the exact right attitude about learning and studying and continue to be proud of yourself, you deserve every proud moment. love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say Good Job!! Jen (your sista-in-law)

    ReplyDelete